After a nearly four-year run at version 2, the HCSB Verse of the Day plug-in has been updated to version 3. The latest version available is 3.0.1, which contains a quick fix that was found just after I had released version 3. When you see that “.0.1,” just think, “Oh, this was written by a human!”
Major changes in this version include:
- The addition of “(Plus)” to the name, as this version supports five different translations - in addition to the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), it now supports the English Standard Version (ESV), the New King James Version (NKJV), the New International Version (NIV), and the King James Version (KJV).
- A new settings page, where you can select the version.
- A widget, that will drop right in any widget zone.
- The replacement of several function calls that have been deprecated in the WordPress API over the past 3 years and 8 months.
- Formal dropping of support for PHP 4, following WordPress’s lead in 3.2.
While a lot of the code is different, if you only used the template tags, you should notice nothing different with this release. You can download HCSB Verse of the Day (Plus) 3.0.1 at the WordPress Plug-In Directory, or upgrade on the WordPress Plug-In Administration Page in your blog.